Green Party Councillor Andrew Cooper has called for a prosecution over a toxic fire on the former Newsome Bowling Green
"I received several phone and text messages from residents around 9.30 on Saturday 14th April morning regarding a fire and acrid black smoke from the site of the Bowling Green at the rear of the former Newsome Working Mens Club where building works are being carried out. When I arrived I saw a huge bonfire with white plastic material and an awful smell. I and a local resident took close up pictures and video from a number of locations around the site. One of the workmen approached us and asked us to stop filming as there was a 3 year old child on the site. He then pointed towards the Bowling Club where Stuart Smith was standing holding a young child. This appeared to be a bizarre attempt to stop us gathering evidence of the fire. I pointed out that this was no place for a young child or anybody with all these toxic fumes. I have approached Kirklees Environmental Services and asked them to pursue a prosecution. It is straightforwardly against the law to burn this toxic material in this way and I have had a number of people living nearby tell me they have felt ill following the fire. Mr Smith needs at some point to be accoutable for his actions. He should not be above the law."